It’s the 21st of December and although it’s such a cliche thing to read in a December blog post, I can’t believe how fast this month, let alone year has gone. It’s Christmas day in 4 days. How?! This also means it’s 11 days til we start a New Year so if you haven’t already, it’s time to plan your NYE celebrations.
Going out out at New Years isn’t something that appeals to me. I genuinely couldn’t think of anything worse than being in a sweaty club, seeing in the New Year with mostly, strangers. I’m not somebody who goes out very often anyway, so it isn’t surprising that I’d choose not to do that. I’m sure the events held at NYE are the best and make for the best nights out, but it just isn’t for me. And if it isn’t for you either, here are some alternative ideas.
- Board Game Night – These are some of my favourite nights in. And no, it doesn’t have to consist of Operation and the worst card games. There are some really good board games and if there’s a group of you, they bring so much fun as well as some friendly competition. Board games can fill an evening, you know the saying, time flies when you’re having fun. Get some food, drinks, have a laugh & enjoy. I have game ideas in this post if you’re interested. My absolute favourites, however, are Scattergories, Articulate, Heads Up (not a board game but still great), general quizzes and the card game Bullshit.
- Pub – If you want a less sweaty night out than you’ll get in a club, pubs and bars are the way to go. They’ll still be busy, as everything is on NYE but it’s just slightly tamer and still a lot of fun. If you like a drink and like to dance but not as claustrophobic, perfect for you.
- House Party – Everybody misses the teen house party days. So, throw your own or convince somebody you’re close with to host one. Although the perk of throwing your own is that your bed is just upstairs rather than a journey away and if you have friends staying over, consider them your helpers for the next day clean up.
- Get away – We’re 11 days away from the start of a new year but many places still have availability if you want to get away from the typical. It can be as wild or as tame as you like, and you can celebrate NYE in style.
- Dinner party – Another more chilled idea where you can either host your own or go to somebody else’s dinner party. A night with your nearest and dearest, eating loads, drinking and just having a good time. It will also leave you with time afterwards (unless you’re a verrry slow eater) to do any of the other ideas listed in this post.
- Forget it altogether – You might be one of those people who simply consider New Years as another ordinary day. In which case, do whatever you would do on any other Sunday night but know you’re being a bore.
- You time – Start the New Year of the way you intend the whole year to be: spoiling yourself. Have a candle lit bubble bath, a pamper and do whatever you want to do.
- Fireworks – Fireworks are great because you don’t have to leave your house to watch them if you don’t want to. I’m pretty sure everybody can see fireworks out of their window at New Years. So, watch them indoors or venture out in your cosy clothes for a cosy, pretty start to the New Year.
- Netflix & Chill – Dump everybody else and spend it with your loved one watching trash, eating trash, and just having fun. (I’m apparently American since my two week holiday. ‘Trash’ who even am I?)
The best thing about all of these is that you can do them with family, friends or your other half. Either way, make sure you have a blast for New Years doing whatever you want to do.